April

Another little booklet, this time made from four old Christmas card envelopes.  I used scraps of paper from around the house and cuttings from newspapers. The William Morris scraps are from a V&A diary my son bought me for Christmas in 2017, and the cat picture is just a print from a photo I took a few years ago.

The butterfly picture on the back didn’t quite work, I know. I’m just learning 🙂

And More Distractions…

I made a pocket out of a window envelope. It’s not finished, and far from perfect, obviously. Please excuse my amateur efforts. I am completely new to this!

It’s open at the top and has a ‘secret’ pocket at the side, which I’ve photographed very badly. It needs something else on the front, but I’m not yet sure what…

The finished pocket, if that is actually the correct journalling name for it, will fit into one of the pages in my envelope journal. Who knew envelopes could have so many uses?

More seriously, I have found it helpful to do something creative as my caring responsibilities have become more demanding. I can do this for an hour at a time or as little as five minutes at a time. I hope other people will find it helpful.

Distractions

I’ve posted this on my other blog, but I don’t think anyone has seen it! I want to share it more widely if I can, because I know I’ve been finding it helpful.

So, like many others, I am in the house a lot of the time now. I spend quite a lot of time awake in the middle of the night, and I find that the internet helps to take my mind off everything that’s going on in the world.

Somehow I stumbled upon some excellent junk journal tutorials on YouTube, by Nik the Booksmith and Tracie Fox, among others. They were so good that I felt inspired to make some journals for myself. I’ve scoured the house for scraps of paper and I’m gradually assembling them into something resembling a journal.

I find it calming to do something creative in such troubled times, and I can spend as little or as long a time as I have available, which fits in well with my caring responsibilities.

Here’s what I’ve done so far. It’s made from three envelopes and different types of paper – some old, some made to look old. Don’t judge me too harshly – it’s only a first attempt and it’s nowhere near finished. I haven’t got many images to put in it, or on the cover, but I am hoping to get hold of a basic printer so that I can use some of my own photographs.

Of course, the real fun will come when I try to sew them together!